Acne is the most common skin problem. It affects 9.4% of the global population. (Source: NCBI) It often appears as an outbreak of pimples on your face, chest, neck, back, or shoulders. Keep reading to know more.
Causes of acne
The most common causes of acne are:
- Hormonal changes: These changes can occur in both men and women. These are among the major reasons for acne on the face and other parts of the body. The extra oil formed due to these hormones is contributory to clogging the hair follicles. In women, hormonal changes occur with puberty, menstrual periods, use of birth-control pills, pregnancy, and menopause. Each of these could be a potential factor to develop acne. Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is also a common cause of acne.
- Genetics: Heredity plays a significant role in the formation and persistence of acne. According to a study published by the National Health Services, if both parents have acne, an individual is more likely to get acne.
- Medications: Certain medications can lead to severe outbreaks and is a major cause of pimples on the face and other areas of the body in some individuals.
- Cosmetics: Certain cosmetics that are used over a long period can lead to pimples on the face. Certain face creams, foundation creams, overnight creams, and moisturizers can cause more harm.
- Workouts: Activities, where heat is trapped inside a room and sweat, can lead to major breakouts of acne. Do you skip the shower right after working out? Or do you skip washing your face? This allows the mixture of bacteria, dirt, oil, and sweat to find a nice little home in your pores. This causes breakouts of acne.
- Diet: A diet high in processed food and refined carbs may lead to acne. Refined sugar, salt, white bread, and white pasta, along with cake and foods high on the glycemic index might increase the development and severity of acne breakouts.
- Picking pimples: Picking pimples can lead to scarring, spreading the bacteria to other areas of the skin, and usually making the pimple look worse than it did before.
- Stress: Stress raises your cortisol levels, your glands pump out more oil, and your immune system is suppressed, which leads to acne breakouts. Manage your stress level to control your acne.
- Scrubbing: Scrubbing can pull away healthy skin cells and create an open wound and a higher risk for acne scarring.
- Smoking: Do you smoke? Your smoking habit may cause skin irritation and dryness. This further aggravates acne formation on your skin.
- Dirty bedsheets and pillow cover: Do you wash or change your pillowcase regularly? If no, a build-up of dirt and oil from the environment as well as your skin and hair touching the pillow can be transferred back to your skin. This can clog pores and cause acne.
Homeopathic treatment for acne
Homeopathy can treat your acne condition. Homeopathic acne treatment has an individualized approach. It offers different remedies for different types of acne based on its appearance and its cause. Another advantage to choosing homeopathic treatment for acne is that it does not cause any side effects and can be safely taken for a long period.
2 cases of severe acne were treated with tailored homeopathic medicines. Both patients were treated based on their characteristics. The case reports projected a reduction rate of more than 80% using tailored homeopathic treatment. This treatment remained effective long after cessation. (Source: Karger Journal)
Akshita, a 19-year-old girl, visited a homeopathy clinic for natural acne treatment. Before taking homeopathic treatment for acne, she had applied topical creams and taken antibiotics given by her allopathic doctor. Nevertheless, the relief was short-lived; each time her problem returned with a vengeance. During the consultation, homeopathic doctors came to know that her periods are irregular. Hence, they recommended an ultrasonography test, which confirmed their suspicion that she had PCOS. Then they prescribed homeopathic medicines that matched her symptoms, which proved to be effective for ovarian cysts. Within six months, her acne reduced visibly, her scars started to heal and her menstrual cycle resumed a normal routine.
Visit your nearest homeopathy clinic to get the best treatment for acne which provides long-lasting relief.